Rotator Cuff Tendinitis / Syndrome (Symptoms & Treatment)
Conditions of the Shoulder
Rotator Cuff Tendinitis (Shoulder Impingement Syndrome)
The rotator cuff is made up of four muscles; supraspinatus muscle, the infraspinatus muscle, teres minor muscle, and the subscapularis muscle. These are the dynamic stabilizers and movers of the shoulder joint and adjust the position of the humeral head and scapula during shoulder movement. This keeps your upper arm inside your shoulder socket. It also gives you the strength and motion to rotate and lift your arms.
Tendinitis of the rotator cuff; also known as impingement syndrome of shoulder occurs when the tendons are swollen or damaged. This usually occurs over time.
It can be caused by activities that requires extending the arm over the head, doing repetitive lifting, keeping the shoulder in one position over a period of time or sleeping on the shoulder every night. Pain may also develop as the result of a minor injury.
Common symptoms of rotator cuff tendinitis
- Pain and swelling of shoulder (commonly front of the shoulder and side of the arm)
- Pain occurred by raising or lowering the arm
- Crackling sensation when moving your shoulder in certain positions
- Loss of mobility and strength in affected arm
- Pain when sleeping on the affected side
- Applying ice pack over the affected area may ease the inflammation over time
- Analgesics may reduce pain and swelling
- Physiotherapy exercises will help to focus on stretching exercises to improve your range of motion
- Steroid injection which includes local anesthetic, may be recommended. It is effective in relieving pain and also decreases the inflammation to restore the function of your shoulder.
- It is recommended to seek advice from Dr Siow, who can provide appropriate treatments and a rehabilitation program for your recovery.
Our doctor provides consultation, treatment and surgery for sports injuries of the shoulder, elbow, wrist, hip, knee and ankle.
- Same-day admission
- Wheelchair accessible
- X-Ray, CT/MRI scan available