Foot & Ankle Pain Treatment & Surgery in Singapore
Foot and Ankle Pain
Your feet have 26 bones, 30 small joints, many muscles, ligaments, tendons and nerves that work together. Most feet consist of an arch shape that evenly spreads the body’s weight over the bones and joints. If your feet consist of low arches, they are more flexible than feet with higher arches. Although high/low arches do not necessarily mean you have a problem, they can increase chances of experiencing foot problems.
Foot Pain Causes
Your feet and ankle may be affected by two major kinds of arthritis: inflammatory arthritis and osteoarthritis.
You can experience foot pain due to several kinds of inflammatory arthritis such as:
• Rheumatoid arthritis: This inflammation affects your foot’s joints
• Reactive arthritis: This inflammation affects the area near your heal or the ankle. It could also cause pain and swelling of your toes also referred to as sausage toe.
• Psoriatic arthritis: This inflammation causes dactylitis.
• Gout: This inflammation affects the joint of your big toe. During an attack the joint in this area turns red and becomes swollen for up to two weeks. If you fail to treat this condition, it could cause damage leading to osteoarthritis.
• Ankylosing spondylitis: This is an inflammation of the spine that may affect your heels.
• Achilles tendonitis: You experience problems with your joints, inflammation in the tendons especially your Achilles tendon- where the tendons connect to your heel.
• Septic arthritis: This kind of arthritis is brought about by fungal or bacterial infection. It is characterized by ankle pain if your ankles are affected.
This condition often affects the joint of your big toe. Your toe will become stiff and you will be unable to move it. Osteoarthritis also develops in your ankle especially if you have experienced damage to your foot’s joint due to inflammatory arthritis. It is one of the causes of severe ankle pain.
Foot and Ankle Pain Symptoms
• Swelling on the ankles
• Burning foot pain
• The affected ankle’s inability to tolerate weight
Foot and Ankle Pain Complications
If your feet are affected by osteoarthritis, it is likely to spread to other joints like your hips and knees thus making walking a difficult task.
Foot and Ankle Pain Treatment & Surgery
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)
- Ankle brace/Casting
Conditions of the Foot and Ankle
Our doctor provide consultation, treatment and surgery for sports injuries of the shoulder, elbow, wrist, hip, knee and ankle.
- Same-day admission
- Wheelchair accessible
- X-Ray, CT/MRI scan available
Find out more about using your Medisave, Medical and/or Accident Insurance for your treatments. We accept international insurance.