Conditions of the Hand and Wrist
De Quervain (Tenosynovitis) – Wrist Tendonitis Treatment & Surgery
- Wrist Spint for Immobilization
- Anti-Inflammatory Medications
- Cortisone Injection
De Quervain (Tenosynovitis) – Wrist Tendonitis
De Quervain’s Tenosynovitis is inflammation of the sheath that surrounds two tendons in the wrist which is attached to the base of our thumb. This inflammation prevents normal movement of the tendon and creates pain. Any sport or work related activity which involves repetitive wrist flexion and extension or ulna and radial deviation (side to side movements) can cause De Quervain’s tenosynovitis.
- Pain over the area of inflammation.
- Swelling of the surrounding soft-tissues
Conservative treatment is usually very successful. Such as,
- Rest. It is important to allow healing and often a wrist splint can ensure rest and help to prevent painful movement.
- Applying ice can reduce pain and inflammation.
- Anti inflammatory medications.
- Cortisone injection will help reduce inflammation and is usually successful.
However if the pain still persist after conservative treatment, surgery may be needed. It is advisable to see Dr Siow for professional treatment for this diagnosis.
Our doctor provide consultation, treatment and surgery for sports injuries of the shoulder, elbow, wrist, hip, knee and ankle.
- Same-day admission
- Wheelchair accessible
- X-Ray, CT/MRI scan available